- Publication Data ：
- Last updated：2019-01-26
- Count Views：441
The School was formerly Taiwan Kaohsiung Juvenile Reformatory School. Established in October in 1956 situated on No.101, Jhongjheng 1st Rd., Lingya Dist., Kaohsiung City, it was originally set up by the Taiwan Provincial Government and named Taiwan Provincial Kaohsiung Juvenile Detention Center. It was renamed Taiwan Provincial Kaohsiung Juvenile Reformatory School in February of 1959, and then was reinstituted and became affiliated with the Ministry of Justice in July, 1981, as Taiwan Kaohsiung Juvenile Reformatory School for sheltering male juveniles adjudged to receive reformatory education by district court juvenile divisions of seven cities/counties in southern Taiwan and Kinmen County, Fujian Province.
With the eastward development of Kaohsiung City in the 1990s and the consideration of future metropolitan development, the Kaohsiung City Government decided to find a new location for Taiwan Kaohsiung Juvenile Reformatory School. Taking the local construction needs into consideration, the Ministry of Justice approved the decision of relocation, and the city government procured a thirteen-hectare land for the new site. Part of the land was transferred to the National Expressway Engineering Bureau of the Ministry of Transportation and Communications, and National Property Administration, respectively; thus, the total area is approximately ten hectares. The construction work of the new site began on March 15, 1993 and was completed in June, 1995, at a cost of 0.7 billion NT dollars. The design for the new site features an academic atmosphere, spacious activity areas, hoary and elegant architectural style, quiet teaching areas, wide expertise learning classrooms and comfortable dormitory.
The Juvenile Reformatory Schools and Enforcement of Education was passed and promulgated by the Legislative Yuan On May 28, 1997, and was officially put into force on July 1, 1999. With this, Taiwan Kaohsiung Juvenile Reformatory School was reinstituted as Ming Yang High School and expanded to shelter juvenile delinquents from throughout the country. It is hoped that this policy could make up for juvenile delinquents’ deficiencies in school education and correct their misbehaviors. Education-related matters of the School were placed under the supervision of the Ministry of Education, setting a new milestone for the juvenile correctional policy in Taiwan. With the establishment of the Agency of Corrections, Ministry of Justice, in 2011, the School became its affiliate. On March 1, 2012, the Yanchao Branch of the Kaohsiung Juvenile Detention Center and its drug rehabilitation center were added to shelter or rehabilitate female juvenile delinquents.